Wednesday 28 July 2010

candid cafe

Candid Café
Torrens Street Angel Islington
020 7837 5237





When a friend first dragged me into an alley and up the stairwell of an old warehouse in backstreets of Angel years ago, I wondered if he had taken leave of his senses.
“you’ll loooove this.” He drooled with enthusiasm that made him look like a spasticated puppy “Its just your thing!! its like, for vampires”
Apart from wondering why he thought that vampish goth was… “my thing”, It amazed me that my mate had managed to find such a place. My friend is a lovely boy, but is the most straight laced person you could hope to meet. He works in IT and once called me at eleven o’clock at night, hysterical that some female friends were insisting that he wear the jeans they had bought him, they were long, loose, modern and very sexy.
“I look like a clown” he shrieked I can’t go out in public in these!!!”
Okay, so you get my point.
So as we were attempting to find the right door, as none of them were marked, (not so much as a bloody clue) he prattled about attending an art exhibition here and how he had been “dying” to bring me here as it was full of weird people “like me”!
Once again, I tried not to take offence; I just plotted where and how I could dispose of his body and prepared myself to be eaten alive by Goths…

Nowadays Candid is easier to find, not only is the right door well marked, it is actually hard to overlook as there is a huge white horse galloping out of the wall at you. The little area has undergone a huge transformation so sadly you no longer feel you are walking into unknown uncared for territory. The warehouse is still ruled by artists although it is far less grungy and dirty than it used to be. Candid arts trust Gallery is next door, and the building is still shared with artists studios. Admittedly my first visit was a little intimidating but these days the place is always so varied in its clientel, from local buiness people to artists and casual passerbys. Although once inside the building, you still have to struggle up the stairs and try and remember behind which door the café hides behind. Hilarious.
The coffee is ok, although it is not overly strong and doesn’t leave a horrible after taste. It didn’t have much of a crema, and I don’t believe they have a barista, just a couple of girls in the kitchen which produces some nice little snacks, soup, salads and cakes. There’s a great outdoor area, surrounded by fire-escapes, plants and a lot of urban brickiness, your orders may be taken via an intercom in the wall.
It’s a great place to meet up with mates, write or chill as it has a great atmosphere. But, there were no vampire goths, kinda disappointing really.

No gluten free/vegetarian sort of kid friendly
WiFi – no
No access for wheel chair
Licensed

No comments:

Post a Comment